Katsina State Governor, Malam Dikko Umar Radda, has reiterated his commitment to completing the long-abandoned 10-megawatt Katsina Wind Farm, originally initiated during the tenure of late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.
Speaking at the Government House in Katsina on Friday while hosting the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Power, Mahmuda Mamman, and his team, Radda emphasized the project’s importance to the state’s energy needs and the concerns of its residents.
“When I assumed office, I visited the wind farm site because this project has been a lingering concern for the people of Katsina. It was initiated when the late President Yar’Adua was governor and later pursued at the federal level, but insecurity, particularly kidnappings, severely disrupted its progress,” Radda explained.
The governor disclosed that recent technical evaluations under his administration revealed significant deficiencies in the project.
“Our assessment showed that the windmills are not producing the expected capacity. To address this, we are proposing a hybrid system incorporating solar energy to ensure the full 10-megawatt output,” he said.
Radda further stated that maintenance issues have reduced the project’s output to less than a megawatt. Concerned about further delays, he personally requested President Bola Tinubu to transfer the project’s oversight to the state government.
“We have the capability and funding to complete this project without prolonged federal bureaucratic delays. I formally submitted this request to Mr. President two months ago,” he revealed.
To expedite completion, Radda engaged with Vergnet, the original project contractor, and other potential investors. “In November, I held discussions in Paris with the contractor, and just last week, I visited their headquarters for a 10-hour technical session on the hybrid system integration,” he added.
Highlighting the urgency of the situation, Radda warned that prolonged delays could lead to further infrastructure decay and security threats. “Every day of inaction increases maintenance costs and the risk of vandalism, especially given the security challenges in the state,” he said.
He called on the Federal Ministry of Power to support Katsina’s efforts, stressing that state funds were available for immediate deployment.
In response, Permanent Secretary Mamman acknowledged the progress made in assessing the wind farm and confirmed that a hybrid approach—integrating 10 megawatts of solar power—was the most viable solution.
“Our assessment team has identified challenges preventing full capacity generation. The hybrid system will maximize energy output and efficiency,” Mamman explained.
He also clarified that the Federal Government does not intend to operate the plant directly. “Once completed, we will concession the facility to qualified operators. We are currently determining whether to do this immediately or after full solar integration,” he stated.
Mamman emphasized the need for Katsina State’s cooperation, particularly in resolving land allocation issues and securing the necessary Certificate of Occupancy. “We appreciate the state government’s collaboration and look forward to finalizing recommendations that will ensure the project delivers maximum benefits to Katsina and Nigeria,” he concluded.